Story Background

In the year 2014 the United States is near the edge economic collapse. People are on the brink of starvation, hospitals are overrun with the sick and injured, and citizens have begun to take the law into their own hands. Without reason the President disbanded the military before going dark along with what was left of the government leaving the U.S. at its weakest.

On December 15th, 2014, North Korea initiates phase one of project "Horsemen" and obliterates the United States with a barrage of nuclear strikes. U.S. allies declare war on North Korea; countries begin to take sides in the bloody battle and World War III begins. Amongst the ashes and rubble of the United States another battle begins as those who survived "War" must now fight for survival. Jobey, an everyman living in New York, wakes up two weeks after the catastrophic event in the basement of a hospital. Alone and with no memory of what happened to him he must now adapt and survive in this new world. What he once called home is now his grave.

More stories of the apocalypse and a note from me.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Deal Gone Wrong

Deals go wrong all the time in business.  Usually you just lose some money.  Here, you lose your life.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 3rd, year 2



Jesus, I've barely stopped the bleeding. That bastard Tim shot me, ME of all people! He's dead now though, Grim's lackey made sure of that. Brought Tim to his knees with a swift kick to the pubic bone completely popping it out of place. Before Tim could even scream he was lying on the ground paralyzed, crying like a baby. He begged for mercy, saying "Don't kill me, don't kill me, please don't, I promise I won't cross Grim again please god, no don't!"

A loud bang and Tim had a new hole. Grim's lackey shot him point blank with a 12 gauge shotgun. No coming back from that I suppose.

It all started this morning, Tim woke me up saying he knows a guy who could hook us up with a supply of ammo and food. He shoved some clothes into my arms and told me to get dressed. A black and grey plaid hoodie, a pair of briefs, a pair of black cargo pants with god knows how many pockets, and some steel work boots, all necessities in this new world I guess. After I got dressed, I went up to the main floor and found Tim going through a bag.

"Here we go." he said as he handed me a Berreta and 3 extra clips of .22s

"What's this for?" I asked

"My friend it's a brutal new world we live in, which means we have to have new insurance to cover our ass when things go south, if you catch my drift" He said pointing at the Beretta.

We walked through nameless streets, and stopped at a sewer entrance.

"In you go!" Tim said pushing me towards the manhole

"You're kidding right?" I sneered back

"Don't worry, there's no crap in there other than Grim and his lackey" he said assuringly

Tim went in first murmuring how I was a girl scout. Soon after, I went in also. As I reached the bottom I gagged and puked.

"What the fuck is that smell!" I managed to sputter

"Rats, corpses, crap, I don't know. these sewers haven't been used even before the fallout, so the smell is new" Tim casually said

We began to walk again heading west down the sewer system. I stayed silent not wanting to breath in the filth of the air. We walked on for what seemed like hours until we reached what seemed like a storage room for maintenance supplies, but instead of tools it was filled with guns, ammo, food and... Grim.

"Hey there Grim! Your offer still stands right?" Tim was shaking as he said this. So far in this new world I'd seen Tim as a badass but in Grim's presence he seemed to squirm like the insects crawling around our feet, not noticeable until squished and even then seen as just a another piece of crap in this fallout.

"Yes it does, and I take it this man is your chip to bargain?" he nudges his head towards me

It's a trap. Fucking Tim saved my life only so he can trade me for some twinkies and a couple rounds of .22s. I elbowed Tim in the face stunning him. Pulled out the Beretta in a flash, took aim at Grim, pulled the trigger and..



"click"



Close but no cigar. Tim didn't load my gun and I'm just as easy to blame for not checking it.

"Shit, you asshole!" Tim screams, as blood pours from his nose

"This deal has gone sour, Tim" Grim smiles and I haul ass. No sooner do I hear the deafening bang of a gunshot and I crumple in pain to the floor I crawl behind a wall and watch as Tim is executed. I've covered myself with garbage and I pray no one will find me. I've lost a lot of blood got to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment