Story Background

In the year 2014 the United States is near the edge economic collapse. People are on the brink of starvation, hospitals are overrun with the sick and injured, and citizens have begun to take the law into their own hands. Without reason the President disbanded the military before going dark along with what was left of the government leaving the U.S. at its weakest.

On December 15th, 2014, North Korea initiates phase one of project "Horsemen" and obliterates the United States with a barrage of nuclear strikes. U.S. allies declare war on North Korea; countries begin to take sides in the bloody battle and World War III begins. Amongst the ashes and rubble of the United States another battle begins as those who survived "War" must now fight for survival. Jobey, an everyman living in New York, wakes up two weeks after the catastrophic event in the basement of a hospital. Alone and with no memory of what happened to him he must now adapt and survive in this new world. What he once called home is now his grave.

More stories of the apocalypse and a note from me.

Friday, April 8, 2011

There Aint No Such Thing As a Free Lunch

January 7th, year 2



   Woke up, drank the last of my water, ate the last twinkie, packed up what was left of my supplies including the MP5 and the M16, left the shotgun. Didn't care where I went, just anywhere other than this damn hospital. The stench of decay lingers, and blood stains the floor. While cleaning up yesterday I found out the grayish white stuff was indeed a piece of Grim's shattered elbow.

   I stepped outside and scanned the sky for any plumes of smoke, hoping that maybe it might be some meat on the grill. No such luck. I was going to have to work for a meal. I walked towards what I thought was West, and kept going. I came upon an enormous clearing... Central Park, actually. There were maybe six trees left standing, the rest gone, I turned my eyes towards a large crater to my left, wondering what could have cause it. Then I realized it was actually the Conservatory Pond, dried up from thermal radiation..... fishing was out of the question. What were once lakes were now craters or long trenches.

   I went North from there following 5th Avenue. I walked for about two blocks, then stopped. I could hear laughter maybe 9 yards away. I hugged a nearby wall and slowly inched my way towards the laughter. I carefully looked around the corner and saw two men sitting around a fire. The fire is against a building covered by a sheet of metal, the smoke is vented inside the building, so it can't be seen. Smart bastards. On the fire I can see what looks like three rats, skewered, slowly cooking. My stomach began to grumble, yearning for food, commanding me to just jump out shoot the two men and take the food. But that would be stupid and I probably would've gotten myself killed. No, instead I waited.

   Darkness was falling, it would give me a chance to sneak up on the two men and hopefully knock them out. One of the guys got up and went inside the building, the other man watched the fire, his back towards me. It was now or never. I picked up a heavy 2x4, set the duffel bag down, and began to approach the man, careful of the debris that would give me away if stepped on. I stopped within 5 inches of him and swung. The 2x4 connected with his head at full force, with a loud THUNK. He crashed to the ground with a thud, too big of a thud actually, cause not a second later his buddy comes out from the building with a rifle in hand. I panic and throw the 2x4 at him, it smacks his arm as he pulls the trigger. The bullet misses me by a mile. I quickly tackle him, slamming him against the building. He lets out a huff, and drops the rifle, as I knock the wind out of him. Sadly it still doesn't knock the fight out of him, because he knees me in the stomach, I stumble back and he follows up with a fist to my temple. My head immediately begins to throb in pain. He laughs, and I kick his groin. He leans over in pain, I pick up the 2x4 I had thrown, and bring it crashing down on the back of his head. He falls and all is quiet. I take the cooked rats, pick up my duffel bag and run East.

   I've taken shelter in the ruins of a coffee shop, far from the two men, if they choose to come after me. I better stop and eat the rats before they get cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment